News Ticker:

Study: People start 84% of U.S. wildfires

The horrific wildfire that scorched Gatlinburg, Tenn., last November, killing 14 people, was human-caused — and that’s not unusual: Whether deliberate or accidental, a whopping 84% of all wildfires in the U.S. are started by people, says a new study.The remaining 16% are started naturally, by lightning, according to the report, one of the most comprehensive fire studies to date.The study also found that humans have added almost three months to the national fire season on average. “Thanks to people, the wildfire season is almost year-round,” said study lead author Jennifer Balch of the University of Colorado. Humans also account for nearly half the acreage burned each year.

Source: Study: People start 84% of U.S. wildfires

Maybe we need to bring back Smokey….

About KelZone (3053 Articles)
Broadcasting eclectic content 24/7.


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: