The tragic story of Lulu, a beloved orca found dead and entangled in fishing gear last year, has taken a turn for the worse.
Experts with the Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme found the killer whale had “shocking levels of PCBs,” or polychlorinated biphenyls, a banned but highly pervasive toxic chemical.
“The levels of PCB contamination in Lulu were incredibly high, surprisingly so,” Dr. Andrew Brownlow, head of the Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme and veterinary pathologist at Scotland’s Rural College, told BBC News. “They were 20 times higher than the safe level that we would expect for cetaceans to be able to manage.”
Died entangled in fishing gear and full of toxins. It makes me want to cry.